Re: geboren in Goncharicha

Jerry Frank †, Freitag, 10.01.2014, 16:33 (vor 3783 Tagen) @ Irene König

I can say with 100% certainty that there are indeed some Bettig cousins that still live in Goncharicha (better known in German context as Solomka or Friedrichsdorf).

John Bettig's family made their way to Germany during the resettlement progams. He and some others eventually went to the Benton Harbor, Michigan where he became a Baptist pastor and missionary to Ukraine. I am related to him through his wife who has Wittmeier and Stubel (also from Solomka) connections. He eventually began a radio broadcast ministry to Ukraine and knew the Ukrainian language well. Eventually he traveled to Ukraine and began the support of local missions there. He raised money in North America and helped to build several churches there, including the one in Solomka. He knew, because of letters that were written, that he had cousins in Solomka and finally had the opportunity to meet them. They are descended from one of the female Bettigs who had married a Ukrainian. His son today is part of a youth ministry program in Kiev.

When I visited Solomka in 2012, we talked to some of the local people. When I mentioned that I was related to John Bettig, they became very excited, showering praise of his visits to the village, about his son who had also come at one time or another, and wishing that he would return soon.

Of course I have no idea how to contact them. It may not be possible without an actual visit to the village. It is unusual to find such family connections in Ukraine but in this case it happens.

Jerry Frank

gesamter Thread:

RSS-Feed dieser Diskussion