where a village or town "Dubrova" and "Arzofen" are?

Camilla Roggeri @, Alessandria, Italia, Montag, 19.11.2018, 11:23 (vor 1957 Tagen)

Good morning, an uncle of my mother was in the WWI in Volinia as a soldier, and in his memories he wrote he went from "Dubrova" to "Chorostow" by feet in four hours, to take the train to Lviv. I believe "Chorostow" is Kvorostiv, because he names other places in the neighboroughs as Gubin, Kiselin (Hubyn, Kysylyn), Krukonice (Krukhynychi), but I haven't found Dubrova. Dibrowka seems too far. 4 hours by feet could be about 20 km.
He wrote in 1917: "At 8 o'clock in the morning we left Dubrova, a place where we had camped and in 4 hours by feet we arrived in the ralways station of Chorostow. The day after we took the train to Lviv."
The other place I can't find is "Arzofen", he wrote it is at the end of a military ralways line, and he went there from Krukhynychi. Arzofen was near the Eastern front of the WWI in January 1917.
Thank you very much.
Maria Camilla Roggeri

Ortssuche "Dubrova" und "Arzofen"

Irene König ⌂, Montag, 19.11.2018, 17:43 (vor 1957 Tagen) @ Camilla Roggeri

Hallo Camilla,

Orte mit dem Namen Dubrova und ähnlich gab es mehrere in der Gegend, darum ist es schwierig, den richtigen Ort zu finden. Ich sehe ein Dabrowa südwestlich von Chorostow, das in Frage kommen könnte. Luftlinie zwar nur 10km entfernt, aber da der Weg über einen Fluß führt, war die tatsächliche Strecke wahrscheinlich um die 15km weit.
http://etomesto.com/map-ukraine_zapad/?x=24.557642&y=50.787638

Dann gab es noch ein Dabrowa weiter östlich (westlich von Zaturcy), Luftlinie ca. 16km. Dieser Ort ist gut 20km von Chorostow entfernt.
http://etomesto.com/map-ukraine_zapad/?x=24.755221&y=50.767299

The other place I can't find is "Arzofen", he wrote it is at the end of a military ralways line, and he went there from Krukhynychi. Arzofen was near the Eastern front of the WWI in January 1917.

Ein "Arzofen" gab es nicht. Möglicherweise meinte er Aleksandrowka, welches sich am Ende der Bahnstrecke befand.
http://etomesto.com/map-ukraine_zapad/?x=24.692738&y=50.800070

Gruß, Irene

Ortssuche "Dubrova" und "Arzofen"

Camilla Roggeri @, Alessandria, Italia, Mittwoch, 21.11.2018, 23:58 (vor 1955 Tagen) @ Irene König

Thank you very much.
About Arzofen, he wrote he and his regiment left Krukonitze, went near the War front, and camped in a Wood, the they went to Arzofen, at the end of a camp military railway, where he had to load and unload some materials from the train trucks. It could be Alexandrovna, if it is the only one around there….. Arzofen might be a nickname given by the soldiers to the place? Does the word Arzofen or something simiar have any meaning in German or in Polish?
Camilla

llocation of Orzieri and Stocal

Camilla Roggeri @, Alessandria, Italia, Donnerstag, 22.11.2018, 00:43 (vor 1955 Tagen) @ Camilla Roggeri

I have doubts also about these places:

1) Orzieri. He wrote he went from Luc’k to the war front. There he had an accident and he had to go to the hospital. Then he went by a five hours walk from the war front to a first aid place. From there to Kolchi (I believe it is Kolky), travelling on a horse drawn carriage one day. After two more days he got in “Orzieri, first train station”. From there by train he got to Kowel. I’ve found on Gmaps a place named “Ozerne” on the road from Kolchi to Kowel, but I’m not sure. .. He wrote the travel from Orzieri to Kowel by train was from 8 o’clock in the morning to 1 and a half in the night.

2) Stocal. They were again around Krukonitze and he wrote they go up North in the neighboroughs of Stocal and Kiselin, where there was the German Army. They had a walk of 30 km. by feet and then camped in a wood near the war front.
I haven’t found Stocal, but Sokal; Sokal seems to me too far from Kisielin (63 km).
Thank you very much.
Camilla

llocation of Orzieri and Stocal

Irene König ⌂, Donnerstag, 22.11.2018, 14:02 (vor 1954 Tagen) @ Camilla Roggeri

Hallo Camilla,

ich habe in der russischen Ortsliste von 1906 nachgesehen: es gab keine Orte, die mit "Orz / Orc" oder "Stoc / Stok" begonnen haben. Dieser Onkel hat die Ortsnamen aus der Erinnerung aufgeschrieben und in seiner Muttersprache, die auch noch Einfluss genommen hat auf die Schreibweise. Ich kann unmöglich erraten, welche Orte er meinte.

Du kannst gerne die alten Karten von 1933 absuchen, die ich dir verlinkt habe, ob du etwas passendes findest. Gmaps ist dafür nicht geeignet, da es viele Orte heute nicht mehr gibt. Manche Orte wurden auch umbenannt.

Hier gibt es eine Datenbank, in der einige der historischen Orte erfasst wurden. Die Datenbank beinhaltet Orte aus dem östlichen Grenzgebiet Polens, einschließlich der ehemaligen Woiwodschaft Wolhynien.
http://www.kami.net.pl/kresy/

Viel Erfolg! Irene

RSS-Feed dieser Diskussion